I’m currently working at a client who’s wish is to have a SharePoint 2010 site with forms based authentication, to manage the problem of the different locations having different domains.
So, I found this really excellent guide written Donal Conlon, over here: http://donalconlon.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/configuring-forms-base-authentication-for-sharepoint-2010-using-iis7/
I followed every step of it, including the little caveat, which was to reset the default provider for .NET Users to the SharePoint Claims Provider.
However, when I logged on to my site, I was presented with a very interesting exception:
<nativehr>0x8107058a</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
I Google’d the error message and came up with a couple of FBA-related posts, but no real solution. Having followed all the steps in the guide, I wasn’t really sure what was going on exactly. Then I remembered the caveat, and that I initially made a change to the default role provider as well.
So I went back to IIS, changed the default role provider back to the claims authentication one, named “c” and tried the site again. Et voila; there it was, working with forms based authentication!
I didn’t see this mentioned in the guide, so I thought I’d write it down, maybe it helps someone else. Although thinking about it, it makes sense to have to change the role provider back as well, it didn’t occur to me initially
Thank you very much! Your post has solved my problem and made me very happy!